Anyone who visits the dentist on a regular basis knows that brushing and flossing are the activities which make up a good oral hygiene regimen. While most people have no problem brushing their teeth (even twice per day), many adults find flossing to be uncomfortable and try to avoid it. Although it may be awkward at first, flossing is an essential part of good dental hygiene and should be done every day.
At the dental offices of Dr. Joshua M. Ignatowicz, our experienced dentist will definitely tell you how important flossing is to your oral health. He will also show you the proper ways of flossing your teeth and provide you with important flossing tips to help lessen the anxiety and discomfort of flossing.
How to Floss the Right Way!
Dental floss is a thin string that can be waxed, unwaxed, flavored, or plain. If you are unsure of the proper flossing technique, attempting to floss may be even more uncomfortable and become an activity you dread. To help you avoid those feelings, here are some helpful flossing tips from our expert dentist:
- Your floss should be 18 inches in length with the ends wound around the middle fingers of each hand.
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers.
- Guide the floss between your teeth using a gentle rubbing motion until you reach the gum line.
- At the gum, curve it into a C-shape against one tooth and gently slide it into the space between the gum and tooth.
- Bring the floss back toward the contact point between the teeth and move vertically, conforming it to the shape of the tooth.
- Hold the floss tightly against the tooth and gently rub the side of the tooth moving it away from the gum in a vertical motion
- Repeat on the rest of your teeth
Once you have mastered proper flossing technique (there may be minor bleeding at first but don’t worry because that will stop), you will be able to confidently add it to your daily dental hygiene regimen and reap the benefits of flossing.
Contact Our Flossing Experts
At the dental offices of Dr. Joshua M. Ignatowicz, we are dedicated to providing you and your family with the best possible cosmetic, implant, and family dentistry in Henderson, Nevada. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to answer your questions, and Dr. Ignatowicz has the skills and experience to make your dental visit enjoyable. Contact us today to learn more flossing tips and to schedule your next dental appointment.